09 January 2013

Yet To Discover The Author

I am not a graceful person. I am not a Sunday morning or a Friday sunset.
I am a Tuesday 2 a.m., am gunshots muffled by a few city blocks, I am a broken window during February. My bones crack on a nightly basis.
I fall from elegance with a dull thud, and I apologize for my awkward sadness.
I sometimes believe that I don’t belong around people, that I belong to all the leap days that didn’t happen. The way light and darkness mix under my skin has become a storm.
You don’t see the lightning, but you hear the echoes.

To understand metaphor within imagery you have to imagine the picture the author of this piece is trying to create.
For instance, when you think of a Sunday morning you may think of a relaxed day.
A Friday Sunset (night) you might think of having a fun evening with your friends.
The author is saying he/she is neither of these simple, or relaxed things.

Then the poet gives examples of what they identify with:
A Tuesday 2am
Gunshot
Broken window during February

Notice that the author uses the same number of examples for both.
Dig deep on the imagery to understand the meaning behind each of these pictures.
What do you think of when you imagine Tuesday at 2am, a gunshot, or a broken window in February? None of these images are comforting or calm, leading us to believe that the author feels disruptive, dangerous, and useless.

Then the author uses further metaphor to describe the outcome.
Their bones feel week.
They feel disconnected from other's
The line: "The way light and darkness mix under my skin has become a storm." Refers to the happy things and sad things in their life mixing inside making them feel complex and misunderstood.
"You don't see the lightning, but you hear the echoes." is in reference to people close to them being unable to see the author's complex feelings, but able to see that the author is unhappy.
Share:

0 comments: